MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

If I have been summoned for jury duty in NY state and am a

Customer Question

If I have been summoned for jury duty in NY state and am a stay at home mom, have no childcare, and have no sitter because they all work including my husband, can I be arrested for "willful disregard" of a jury summons? I am in this situation now and told my commissioner of jurors that I would have to bring my children, and she told me: "If you choose to report for jury duty accompanied by your two children, you will be wasting your time, for you will not be permitted to enter the courtroom, and you will not be given credit for having reported. You will, in fact, be postponed to another date for service. I might point out to you that , by New York State law, willful disregard of a jury summons may result in the imposition of a civil fine of $250 and the docketing of a civil judgment against you for that amount, or a criminal contempt resulting in a fine of $1000 or imprisonment not exceeding thirty (30) days, or both, and a date certain for jury service in the future."
Expert:  MShore replied 8 years ago.
Willful disregard means that you ignored the summons, which you have not done. The response was one aimed at a person who is contemplating ignoring the summons. It seems that you do not wish to ignore the summons, but want to defer your jury duty which is permissible in certain instances. For example, if you are scheduled to or anticipate being out of town during the proceeding, or otherwise unavailable due an event which would make it impossible for you to report to jury duty then you would note that in your response to summons and request a deferment.