How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.Hazelbaker Your Own Question
J.Hazelbaker, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4385
Experience:  Attorney and small business owner with 10 years experience in the general practice of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
J.Hazelbaker is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had my identification stolen. How can I prevent the

Resolved Question:

I have had my identification stolen. How can I prevent the thieves from using the information for filing a quit claim on my house?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 8 years ago.
A party can convey only the property rights that they legally have. Someone who stole your identity can't convey any interest in your home. The deed would be void. However, you can keep on top of this by contacting the recorder of deeds (usually located within or adjacent to the local courthouse) and let them know that you are concerned that someone may file a fraudulent deed and to be on the look out for it.

You can also regularly check the records to see if anything has been filed.

You can also file a ID theft complaint online with the Federal Trade Commission. Here is a link to their ID theft portal:

The information is provided for discussion and entertainment purposes only. I believe in helping people and answering their questions and providing information and solutions. To encourage and facilitate this practice, it is understood and agreed by the recipient that by opening, reading, accepting, and viewing this information, no attorney-client relationship has been discussed, agreed to or otherwise established. In legal matters, time is of the essence. As such, you should contact an experienced lawyer right away to protect your legal rights!

I appreciate your "Accepting" my answer if it has been helpful to you. Doing so allows me to continue helping in this manner. I will be available for follow-up questions should you have them after you click "Accept". Thank you.

J.Hazelbaker and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you