How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Actively practicing trial attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the State of North Carolina can property be landlocked

Customer Question

In the State of North Carolina can property be landlocked? How do you get your right-of-way,(easement)when the will stated there was one to the property to a main highway!
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  lwpat replied 8 years ago.

A will cannot grant an easement over someone else's property. However it would be evidence that an easement existed. If property is landlocked you can obtain an easement by prescription or by necessity. By prescription you prove that the easement has been in continuous use for a number of years. By necessity means that there is no other way to get to the property. Here you have to trace the title back to determine how the property became landlocked. Either way you will have to go to court if the other property owner will not willingly give you an easement.


If I have answered your question, an accept and positive feedback is appreciated. Thanks!!!