How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 57331
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father-in-law made $7,000 worth of purchases on my credit

This answer was rated:

My father-in-law made $7,000 worth of purchases on my credit cards. He wants a week to pay me back. Can I except a written confession by him as a promise of payment and how should that be worded?
A simple document that states that he will pay you back X amount by Y date which is due and owing. Dated and signed. Preferably notatized. Then you can easily sue him to recover it if he defaults.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

He is deep in dept, he does not fear being sued. Only the fear criminal action, and public humiliation will motivate him. I need a written confession from him that can be used in criminal court. I need to know what a durable confession statement must maintain.

A confession would be made to the police and a promissory note would suffice. You can have him also admit that he wrongly took the money without permission.   Police though are likely to defer to the civil courts.
INFOLAWYER and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you