How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Karin Your Own Question
Karin, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 53
Experience:  Estate Planning and Small Business Attorney with Investment Banking Background
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Karin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi! If you file an extension on your Federal return and owe

Resolved Question:

Hi! If you file an extension on your Federal return and owe money, is your state refund on hold?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Karin replied 8 years ago.
Assuming we are talking about current year tax filing (2008), the general answer is "no". The state government and the federal government are two separate governing entities.

In order for the IRS to try and attach (take) moneys owed to you by anyone else (whether it be the state or some third party), further action would be taken first.


Please press the GREEN accept button if you find my answer to be satisfactory. Note it may difficult to adequately address all issues that might be raised by your question in this setting. To be clear, we have not established an attorney-client relationship and this post in response to your question is to provide general information not specific legal advice. I encourage you to contact a local attorney in your jurisdiction for legal advice.
Karin and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions