How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 32993
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i own a repair shop in new york state and a repo man showed

Customer Question

i own a repair shop in new york state and a repo man showed up for one of my customers car wich i have a bill against, do they have to pay the bill before i elease the car?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Loren replied 8 years ago.
You have a lien on the car and are not required to release it unless your bill is paid. They can however repo the car if it is not in a secure area provided there is no breach of the peace.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
where would i find this law so i can show my local police dept. that i was right.
Expert:  Loren replied 8 years ago.
§ 425. Repossession of motor vehicle or motorcycle; garageman's lien;
notice to police. 1. Any person, firm or corporation, or agent, employee
or representative thereof, repossessing or retaking a motor vehicle or
motorcycle pursuant to the provisions of article nine of the uniform
commercial code, or other authority of law, or any contract or
agreement, shall, immediately following such repossession or retaking,
personally appear at a station house or other office of the police
department, or agency or officer performing like functions, in the
locality wherein such repossession or retaking occurred, give notice to
such department, agency or officer of such repossession or retaking and
thereafter and within twenty-four hours personally deliver or mail by
special delivery first class mail to the nearest motor vehicle district
office, (a) notice of such repossession or retaking in such form as the
commissioner may require and (b) the number plates of such motor vehicle
or motorcycle. Notice of such repossession or retaking, including the
name and address of the person, firm or corporation repossessing or
retaking the same, shall also be given within twenty-four hours thereof
to the owner of such motor vehicle or motorcycle, either personally or
by registered or certified mail directed to such owner at his last-known
address. Unless the motor vehicle or motorcycle can be repossessed or
retaken without breach of the peace, it shall be repossessed or retaken
by legal process, but nothing herein contained shall be construed to
authorize a violation of the criminal law.