Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I AM A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. I HAVE MALPRACTICE INSURANCE.

Customer Question
BUT, IF I WERE TO...
I AM A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. I HAVE MALPRACTICE INSURANCE. BUT, IF I WERE TO GET SUED ONE DAY, THEORETICALLY SOMEONE COULD SUE ME FOR MY ASSETS SUCH AS MY HOME. MY HUSBAND AND I ARE ABOUT TO BUY A HOME TOGETHER. WOULD YOU RECOMMEND PUTTING THE HOME IN MY HUSBAND'S NAME ONLY SO THAT THIS COULD NEVER HAPPEN?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/1/2009
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 8 years ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
The safer solution is to place it in an irrevocable trust for his benefit or your children's benefit so that creditors cannot reach it. A transfer to a spouse is inferior and easier to pierce.
HOW DOES ONE ESTABLISH AN IRREVOCABLE TRUST? WOULD AN ESTATE LAWYER SET THIS UP?
This indeed would be done by an estate lawyer which you can find in your area on www.martindale.com
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney