How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog bite someone back in November, the dog was quartined,

This answer was rated:

My dog bite someone back in November, the dog was quartined, and it was established that the dof must be behind a fence and a fine of 500.00 was paid. The man wants 569.00 paid to him for the medical bills from the emergency room. His insurance paid for most of his bills. My husband filed bankruptcy and I told this man we are in foreclosure, I do not have any money, I cannot even pay my own bills, and I have to file too. They took my car away in Feb. since my husband was not working due to 3 clots in his leg. When it rains it pours. My mother is staying with me from Buffalo and had a stroke, because of all this happening. He came to my door an hour ago and was literally banging on my door and would not leave, I hid, the dogs were going crazy. I grabbed the one dog and put him in my bedroom. My mother fell trying to get to the door. I told her not to answer. She went to talk to him and he threatened me and told her the dog, he could have put down. If I pay him he could come for more

Thank you for submitting your important legal issue to Just Answer. I am pleased to have the opportunity to provide you with an honest and easy to understand answer to your question.

I am an attorney licensed in the State of Texas. The following information is a brief answer to your question. However, if you feel that you need further information or that you have other insights which might help me in providing a better answer, please feel free to write back.

I am sorry to hear about your situation! It sounds horrible. When your dog bites someone and causes them injury, you are legally responsible for it. However, you have stated that your husband has filed bankruptcy. When someone files bankruptcy, they are protected from further lawsuits until the bankruptcy is over. If the dog actually belongs to you rather than your husband, you could personally be sued. If you file for bankruptcy, this will also protect you.

Regardless, you are facing actions by this man that take it out of the norm. He cannot come to your house and beat on your door. Further, I do not believe that he has a right to have the dog put to sleep when you have already faced charges from the city. This means the issues is "res judicata", meaning it has already been decided. You need to contact the police and tell them what is going on. What he has done now could constitute criminal harassment, assault and trespass.

You could agree to pay him a little at a time, but if you do so, you need a written agreement which states what you owe, that you will pay him a certain amount per month until fully paid off, and that he releases you from all claims.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Zachary D. Norris or The Norris Law Firm. For complete legal advice and representation, you should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.

TexLaw and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how should I communicate with him..thru mail now? And what should the written agreement read, I am afraid he wil want some crazy amount of money down the road. He and his wife do videos if you know what I mean. He has a great job at the space center, great insurance and I want to do the right thing.
I'm afraid that I cannot provide you with a settlement agreement for you to use, as I am not licensed to practice law in the State of Florida, and providing you such an agreement would be forming an attorney-client relationship, which is beyond the services I can provide on this website. You should call the legal aid department in your location and ask them to provide you with a form settlement agreement (unforunately I don't have one of these handy to provide you).

In regard to communicating with him, I would only communicate through the mail. If he comes to your house again, you need to call the police.

Good luck.

Zachary D. Norris