TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

This is re HIPPA laws. My pharmisutical company Express-scripts

This is re HIPPA laws. My pharmisutical company Express-scripts has started requiring pre approval for all prescriptions, no matter how long I have been on them. If they are not in their "low cost' category they want full explanation from my MD which includes medical details. Is this a violation. I don't want them to have all of this info   Thank You XXXXX
Dear Ms. Jordan:

Thank you for submitting your important legal issue to Just Answer. I am pleased to have the opportunity to provide you with an honest and easy to understand answer to your question.

I am an attorney licensed in the State of Texas. The following information is a brief answer to your question. However, if you feel that you need further information or that you have other insights which might help me in providing a better answer, please feel free to write back.

In short, this is likely not a violation of the HIPPA laws. Generally, when you begin treatment with any physician, the physicians office will require to sign a HIPPA release form. This allows the doctor to release information to your insurers and pharmacists without violating the provisions of HIPPA. If you do not want this information shared with Express-Scripts, then you need to send a written revocation of the authorization to release medical information to your doctor and pharmacist, and specify that they are not to release any medical information to Express-Scripts. You also need to state that this revokes and/or modifies all previous medical information release authorizations you have previously signed.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again.

If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.

The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Zachary D. Norris or The Norris Law Firm. For complete legal advice and representation, you should consult with an attorney licensed to practice in your state.