Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I am receining money from an inheritence and my brother owed

Customer Question
back taxes. They paid the...
I am receining money from an inheritence and my brother owed back taxes. They paid the taxes and used part of the siblings inheritence to settle the lien. Is that legal??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2009
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
If the lien was on inherited property it was legal. If he used the money to pay a personal lien then it is not legal and you need to go to the probate court to file a motion to get that money returned to the estate for distribution.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

That is somewhat useful. Let me explain it a little better. The house was part of the inheritence, but why is it legal that the attorney paid the funds out to clear the house, adn we are liable to pay his taxes.
If the taxes were due on the inheritance, the house, then the estate is liable to pay those fees out of the estate funds and whatever is left goes to the heirs. The house title needs to be cleared before it can be transferred or sold and for that the estate is liable.
There are 19 people on the estate, is it just his siblings that are responsible, or everyone on the estate?
The estate must pay all taxes and debts before ANY heir gets their share of the inheritance. If the siblings were to split the remainder of the estate while others were given a specific $ amount in the will, then they get the specific $ amount and the siblings split the remainder after all taxes and debts are paid.
All parties on the estate were to split the remainder. No specific $$ ampount.
Then the money should have been paid by the estate and not just one or two individuals, unless the individuals agreed to do so.
Thank you that's what I was trying to find out. Just because we are his siblings they took it from us, and we did not know until they went to settle the estate and it was already paid out.
You can move the court to recover the share from the other heirs. Of course it may cost you more to do this than you will receive back, but it is the liablity of the estate not the siblings.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney