How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brent Blanchard Your Own Question
Brent Blanchard
Brent Blanchard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1975
Experience:  Twelve years of experience in estate planning and probate, consumer bankruptcy, and business law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brent Blanchard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please, what does this mean In accordance with the enforcement

Customer Question

Please, what does this mean "In accordance with the enforcement of judgments (EJL) codified at CCP 680.010 through 724.260, should a judgment be obtained on behalf of the carrier, our office may exercise several methods of recovery"
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Brent Blanchard replied 8 years ago.
Glad you're still trying to learn what it means,Customer Too many people idly wonder until their wages get garnished, then are shocked and panicked.

The citation in that notice is to the California CODE OF CIVIL PROCEDURE SECTION 680.010-680.380. Its title is:

680.010. This title shall be known and may be cited as the
Enforcement of Judgments Law.

A long list of definitions takes up Sub-Sections .010 through .680. The meat of the law is that once a judgment is obtained, the judgment creditor can do a lot of nasty things to collect on it, from tapping bank accounts to garnishing wages, and even having the Sheriff seize and sell "non-exempt" personal property like someone's Jet-Skis.

If the judgment is not renewed, it expires after ten years.

You can read the title here:

The rest of Section 680 can be read in the links at: Title Nine, dealing with enforcement of judgments, goes all the way up to Sub-Sections 724.210-724.260.
Brent Blanchard and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What can we do?
Expert:  Brent Blanchard replied 8 years ago.
If there is already a judgment, there's not much that can be done other than to make payment arrangements with the judgment creditor which can fit within your budget.

For most people, wage garnishment would be a financial disaster.

The language seems to be "IF" there is a judgment, and the term "carrier" makes it sound like an insurance company is involved. If that is the case, a lot depends on whether there is a defense to either liability or the claimed extent of damages. Again, negotiations are almost always the quickest and least-expensive way to resolve the situation.

Thank you.