How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex barely pays child support. He is about 10,000 dollars

This answer was rated:

My ex barely pays child support. He is about 10,000 dollars behind and the court ordered him to pay his support and a certain amount in back support. He pays about 20% of the time and I suspect he is just trying to pay enough to appease the court however, I am currently living about 4 hours from him and we meet one weekend a month and also in the summer for 2 longer visits. This causes me to spend money in transporting the kids. I am currently pursuing child support enforcement but it is very slow. Can I tell him that I just can't afford to keep participating in the transfer? I do want the kids to spend time with their father, but I am so financially strapped not to mention in debt it is compromising my ability to financially care for kids since he won't participate financially?
Good morning,

What does your custody order state as regards XXXXX XXXXX for custody exchanges?

I’ll put forth my best effort in assisting you. When you are able to respond to my request for clarification of your situation, I’ll be able to assist you. In the meantime I would ask that you please stay on-line, just in case I need additional clarification from you regarding the factual circumstances relating to your question. Thank you for allowing me to help.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.

My order says my ex " shall enjoy visitation on the second full weekend of each month beginning March 14-16, 08. Exchange of children shall occur an agreed upon location off US 70 in /near Maryville, OH at 7 pm on Fridays and 7 pm on Sundays.

Good morning,

I propose that you handle it this way. Tell your ex that you can no longer afford to transport the children to the exchange location--primarily, because he does not pay support. Suggest that he pick up, and drop off the children at a place very close to where you live. And, if he is unwilling to do that then you will have no other alternative than to go back into court and seek to have him found in contempt for failure to pay support--and at the same time you will also seek full custody of the children.

That ought to get his attention.

I wish you the best.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,


LawTalk and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you