Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I have recently purchased a house with a shared drive. Recently

Customer Question
I have recently purchased a...
I have recently purchased a house with a shared drive. Recently my neighbors decided to install a "speedbump" of sorts across half the driveway. They bolted a 4x4 to half the drive. We now have to drive over it with our vehicle entering and exiting the drive. They did not come to us and let us know why it was done, nor did they get our consent to install this. do they have a legal right to do this without our ok?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
4/1/2009
Lawyer: John, Attorney replied 8 years ago
John, Attorney
No. They do not. Write them a letter asking for them to remove it as it constutes a nuisance to you and was done without your permission. Then you can seek an equitable action to have it removed or, potentially, remove it yourself. :)
ideally i would like this removed immediately. i think writing a letter will get us nowhere with these individuals. Our initial contact with them resulted in a number of insults and vulgarities.
thanks for the attempt.
You need a letter in writing to preserve your rights and legally put them on notice of the condition, so you can show it to a court later. I wasn't saying that just to say it. It is always a first step with any potential claim. I would even send it certified to have proof of receipt. I would then either file suit or remove it myself if i didnt fear retribution.
John, Attorney
John, Attorney