How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 56554
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was given proceeds from an individual who sold their home.

Customer Question

I was given proceeds from an individual who sold their home. She deposited the funds into my account. I composed an "Agreement" that stated she was giving up all rights to funds without any coersion or influence. She of course, now is saying that I owe her this monies. The document was signed by both of us and notarized. I also composed a letter that stated that there are no more funds available from the deposit and we both signed and notarized.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 years ago.
If it was given to you as a gift, it is yours. If given to you to hold in trust for her, she is entitled to it back.   A court will need to determine what happened here if parties cant settle.
INFOLAWYER and 9 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

We also signed an agreement that the person who provided the gift would not seek mediation or legal action against me. What rights do I have?

Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 years ago.
You would rely on the document evidencing the gift to defend the claim and have it dismissed. No better evidence than a writing.