How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Reilly Your Own Question
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1805
Experience:  California lawyer since 1976.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jim Reilly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can I sue the government for discrimination on the constant

This answer was rated:

can I sue the government for discrimination on the constant hike in taxes on cigarettes?
HelloCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer.

You know the old saying, you can sue anybody any time for any thing. The real question is whether or not you can win if you do so.

Unfortunately, the answer to your real question is "no", you can't win if you sue the government over cigarette taxes. The use of cigarettes is not one of the classifications of people against whom discrimination is prohibited, so there would be no legal basis upon which you could win such a suit.

As frustrating as these taxes may be to you, they are extremely popular with the politicians, who see them as a source of easy money against which relatively few people will object. There is little or no possibility of any rollback of cigarette taxes in the foreseeable future.

Thanks for asking your question here on JustAnswer and I'm sorry I can't give you a more palatable response. If you have any other questions, please let me know.
Jim Reilly and 12 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you