How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I force the State to except my foot prints as the same as on my birth certicate.

Customer Question

The State says that i have to get an offical name change to recieve my birth certicate because the last name on the BC is different from the last name a have always used in my life.All documents have the name of Shepardson on them and not Oday. To get an offical name change will cost me between $500 to $1200. Yes just to get my BC so i can get my drivers license.Without this license I can not board an airplane, I can not open an bank account, or drive a vehicle.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 8 years ago.



yes, there would be no way around that - but what you can do is check with the clerk of the court and see if they have a form for a Name Change Petition - and then you can file it yourself - the clerk would also have the instructions on how the process needs to work - with publication in the local newspaper, etc.


if there is no form, such a pleading would not be difficult for you to do - ask the clerk if there are some name change Petitions you can look at - they are public record and can use one of those as a format -