How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask skelly151 Your Own Question
skelly151, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 2368
Experience:  Litigation specialist, Probate and Estate law, Collection law, contract disputes, builder issues
Type Your Legal Question Here...
skelly151 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work in sales and am paid a comission. Recently instead

Resolved Question:

I work in sales and am paid a comission. Recently instead of 'steady pay', they require us to clock in and out and are paying us minmum wage. At the end of each week if you have no sales comissions that are being paid you will be paid your hourly wage. If on the following week you have comissions being paid they take back all of the hourly, including any mandatory meeting time. Also, they do not want any overtime accrual. On a couple of occasions, we had to sign a piece of paper (because we were over 40 hours in the week), that we would not clock in, but that they would include that in our pay, (only to be taken back at a later date). Does everything seem kosher here?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  skelly151 replied 8 years ago.
No it does not. Look on Nevada's website for the Department of Labor and they will summarize the laws as it responds to minimum wage. If you are over 40 hours a week by federal law you must be paid at least time and a half. Also you are to be paid for mandatory meetings.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Not really satisfied with an answer that tells me to look up Nevada State Laws. I was looking for specifics in regard to, is it legal for them to take back all the money, and so forth, I don't want to have to do my own research.
Expert:  skelly151 replied 8 years ago.
I told you as to the specific examples you provided but if you want to look at filing a complaint you need to go to the website. By law they only have to pay you minimum wage so by the conversion it does not appear invalid but the meetings and overtime is not permissible. Anything else?
skelly151 and 11 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you