How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask NewYorkLaw101 Your Own Question
NewYorkLaw101, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 439
Experience:  10 years civil litigation, no-fault, personal injury, premise liability and municipality law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
NewYorkLaw101 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does one go about initiating a name change

Resolved Question:

How does one go about initiating a name change?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 8 years ago.

What state do you live in?

What is the reason for the name change?

Is it an adult name change or for a minor child?



Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Washington State


I think I need a an attorney who practices in Washington.


Expert:  NewYorkLaw101 replied 8 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using Just Answer
In order to change your names here are the rules of Washington State

Applications for Name Changes may be filed in the county where you reside. The process consists of completing a Petition for Name Change and an Order for Name Change. The original Petition is filed with the clerk in any district court division located within the county of your residence. Photo ID may be required. If a sealed name change is required, the petition must be filed with the Superior Court.

Name Change fees vary depending upon the number of persons named on the Petition. The King County District Court fee for name changes is $110 which includes the $53 filing fee, a $10 administrative cost, a $42 recording cost per named individual and one certified copy. Additional certified copies are $5 per copy.

Once the Petition has been completed, the case will be presented to a judge for approval and signature.

If you were born in Washington State and wish to change your birth certificate, you must send certified copies of all the paperwork to:
Department of Health
Center for Health Statistics
P.O. Box 9709

The Court will record your Name Change with the King County Recorder's Office. Only the Order needs to be recorded. Recording takes 6 to 8 weeks and a copy with the Recorder's Number will be returned to you.
Name Change Filing and Hearing Schedule

if you go to - and scroll down to the bottom of the page you will find the appropriate forms for what you need!
Hope this helps
have a great evening.
Please remember to press ACCEPT
Customer: replied 8 years ago.



Thank you for your prompt response. What you have told me I already know. Please give me some time to think of a more precise way to ask the question. I'm in the middle of doing my taxes, working a morgtage refinance and running a business so forgive me if it takes me a little time to focus with more clarity on this issue. I just need a few more hours to think this through. Thanks.

Expert:  NewYorkLaw101 replied 8 years ago.
Okay, I await your response. Have a great afternoon!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Can I still get a passport with a sealed name change?


Am I eligible for a sealed name change if I have a criminal record?



Expert:  NewYorkLaw101 replied 8 years ago.
If you are seeking a sealed named change, it will have to be approved by the Judge with an actual hearing as all name changes must be noticed to the public. Sealed named changes are normally granted when there is an issue as to public safety. You will not be able to change your name in order to hide a criminal record. You can still get a passport with a sealed name change as the Judge if the circumstances qualify will not have the change published and the new name will go into effect.
Have a great day
please press ACCEPT
NewYorkLaw101, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 439
Experience: 10 years civil litigation, no-fault, personal injury, premise liability and municipality law
NewYorkLaw101 and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you