How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane T (LLC) Your Own Question
Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8435
Experience:  Experienced attorney; contracts, internet, business, finance, employment, RE, consumer, & more.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jane T (LLC) is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i thought I had cosigned for a car, but some how I ended up

Resolved Question:

i thought I had cosigned for a car, but some how I ended up as the primary. What does this mean. And the person I co-signed for stop paying for the car. i fear he has left state. do I have any legal recourse?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 8 years ago.



Normally, whether a person signs as a co-signer or as a co-borrower, if the other party does not pay then the lender can make the signer responsible for the payment. Once payment is made then the signer can sue the person they signed with, but the responsibiliy to pay, the effect of a bad credit report, and any judgments, liens, or garnishments will normally apply to them. Because the name on the title of a car, not whose names are XXXXX XXXXX loan for a car determines ownership, any person whose name is XXXXX XXXXX title can claim rightful ownership, even if they have not paid on the loan (being on the loan does not make one an owner; being on the title registered with the DMV is how ownership of vehicles is determined. If a person who signs a contract, such as a loan document, however, can prove they did so under any misrepresentation or fraud then they may be able to file suit against the lender to remove themselves from the debt, but to do so they will need to speak to an attorney in their state to discuss how they signed the loan, what the lender said, and if anything done before, during or after the signature may help alleviate them from the loan.



Jane T (LLC) and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you