How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 56482
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I hired a firm to represent me in the wrongful death of my

Resolved Question:

I hired a firm to represent me in the wrongful death of my son. I had 5 lawyers from the firm in a 4.5 year period. On 2 occasions they made an offer to settle the case without my knowledge or consent. When the 5th lawyer came on the case he called me on the phone and told me I had to make an offer to settle the case that day for $100,000 or else the firm would drop the case. He said it was a matter of economics. I said I wanted to go to trial. They dropped the case. I was never notified by the court. I want to know if I can sue the firm for the way they handeled my case? If so, how do I go about it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 years ago.

what state are you in?

when did the representation end? what month, year?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
representation ended 5/01/2007
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 years ago.
You should proceed with a claim for malpractice against the firm if its conduct injured your position and did not represent you for your benefit. This should be pursued by legal malpractice lawyers. see for local counsel.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
according to the docket display - the case was dismissed by the court in it's entirety without prejudice - the party who filed for case dismisal waas the court - they sent a letter of notification but they sent it to one of the attorneys at the firm who no longer worked for the firm. the court got the letter back in the mail - I have a copy of it that I retreived from the clerk of the courts office. can i still proceed with a malpractice suit??
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 8 years ago.
Yes. You can proceed with your primary case as the case was dismissed WITHOUT prejudice. You can also pursue a malpractice claim as you may have suffered injury from the delay and the file needs to be reviewed to see if the old firm committed other errors that hurt your position.
INFOLAWYER and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions