How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cosigned for an automobile. Due to her unwillingness to

Resolved Question:

I cosigned for an automobile. Due to her unwillingness to pay after one year of good standing she stated that she could not do it at that time. I took the car back due to I did not want to pay anything that I do not have in my possession. She refuses to sign anything so I can be solely responsible. I can't sell this car or trade it in without her. Her name and my name are on the title. There is NO "and" or "or" separating our names. I want out. Finding it hard to find an attorney that knows what I can do where I live.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Jack R. replied 8 years ago.
You can file a motion for "partition" The Texas code Chap 23 provides:

§ 23.001. PARTITION. A joint owner or claimant of real
property or an interest in real property or a joint owner of
personal property may compel a partition of the interest or the
property among the joint owners or claimants under this chapter and
the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure.

Partition involves the sale of the asset, or where possible a division of the asset. For an automobile this would be an order to sell the car.

If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Jack R. and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you