Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

I cosigned for an automobile. Due to her unwillingness to

Customer Question
I cosigned for an automobile...
I cosigned for an automobile. Due to her unwillingness to pay after one year of good standing she stated that she could not do it at that time. I took the car back due to I did not want to pay anything that I do not have in my possession. She refuses to sign anything so I can be solely responsible. I can't sell this car or trade it in without her. Her name and my name are on the title. There is NO "and" or "or" separating our names. I want out. Finding it hard to find an attorney that knows what I can do where I live.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
3/1/2009
Lawyer: Jack R., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
You can file a motion for "partition" The Texas code Chap 23 provides:

§ 23.001. PARTITION. A joint owner or claimant of real
property or an interest in real property or a joint owner of
personal property may compel a partition of the interest or the
property among the joint owners or claimants under this chapter and
the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure.

Partition involves the sale of the asset, or where possible a division of the asset. For an automobile this would be an order to sell the car.

If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Jack R.
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney