How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My X wife and I got divored in 2002 she told she wanted to

Customer Question

My X wife and I got divored in 2002 she told she wanted to make my life Hell , so she wanted more child support and back in 2003 I started getting unemployment checks besides my own checks and my current wife didnt know she is from New York she just kept putting them into my checking acct ewell now i owe them like 9,000 i have been trying to pay them when i have the extra money , I have been laid off since December and cant collect of course now today in the mail i got a Lien from them I just sent them a nother check the other day for 25.00 on the Lien they say they want there money will they take my tax money i am getting back which i need to pay our bills, with . should i close my current checking acct or what do i do , I did write them a letter today should i mail it or call them or both , i really dont want them touching my tax money which i am having direct deposti into our current acct which is due to us by March 17th this has been such a hardship year I had a brian tumor, my dad died everything is falling on top of me
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 years ago.



when someone is owed overdue child support, they can garnish wages, put a lien on bank accounts, or seize tax returns. The person who owes child support can change bank accounts, but if the other parent or the enforcement agency has your social security number, they can just seize assets from any new account.


There are certain exceptions to the assets that can be seized or liened in most states (such as the home that you primarily reside in), but if your name is XXXXX XXXXX the chances are that they can grab it. The best thing to do is oftentimes to speak with the other parent/enforcement agency directly and work out a repayment schedule; doing so can prevent the unexpected seizure of assets. Best of luck.


If this was informative, please remember to click "accept" so I may receive credit for my personal time and knowledge. Thank you.


If this was

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
we dont own the house we Rent were we live should I call them or write to them or both
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 years ago.

Hi again:


if I were in your position, I would start by calling the other parent. I would be very cautious about putting something in writing. Also, keep in mind that some parents are willing to lower the amount due for a quick payment. For example, you might want to say "I'll pay you $5,000 next week if you forgive the rest of the debt." But I digress... try contacting the other parent first; if you reach an agreement, contact the enforcement agency together.


If this was informative, please remember ot click "accept" so I may receive credit for my personal time and knowledge. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
do you think i should close my current checking acct and do you think they unemploymnt lein will take our taxes we are gettin by March 17
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 years ago.



I have no opinion about closing the checking account and I don't have enough knowledge to speculate about the unemployment lien. I would guess, however, that your tax return is definitely vulnerable to seizure.