How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had evicted tenants from my house & they owe me a lot of

Resolved Question:

I had evicted tenants from my house & they owe me a lot of money but I am unable to find them, they own a business but they have now leased it to other people. I want to know what I can do. I was told that if I run an ad in the newspaper three times that it would be sufficent for service.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 years ago.



which state did this take place in?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.


Expert:  Brandon M. replied 8 years ago.

Hi again:


in California, you first have to get permission from the court to allow "service by publication". To do this, you must first exercise due diligence to locate the person. This usually means having a private investigator look for them, since the court prefers having a 3rd party capable of using all resources available to locate the defendant. A private investigator will probably charge $100-$300 for his or her services, but the amount can be more or less. If the person still can't be found, you have to file a motion for service by publication with an accompanying order. Ask your local law librarian for a sample form. If the court grants your motion, you will have to run the notice in the newspaper most likely to read by the defendant once a week for four consecutive weeks. It's not easy, but the court wants to make sure that we truly can't be found before things proceed without noticing us. Best of luck.


If this was informative, please remember to click "accept" so I may receive credit for my personal time and knowledge. Thank you.

Brandon M. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you