Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What does it mean when a lawyer is on fully probated suspension

for a certain time period?...
What does it mean when a lawyer is on fully probated suspension for a certain time period?
2/16/2009
Ronald Frederick

What state are you in and why are you asking?

I am in Houston, Texas and my ex-husbands attorney has given me cause to do some research on him. When I looked him up on the State Bar of Texas website, it tells me that he is on fully probated suspension from May of 2008 until Sept. 2009.
What is the person't name, maybe I can find it online.
J. Derek Winfrey his bar number is XXXXX

Based upon what I can tell, and I am not a Texas lawyer it means that he is on probation May of 2008 until Sept. 2009.

I imagine there is another question hanging around in here and if so, go ahead and answer otherwise, press the accept button.

I hope this helps.

You are correct, I do have another question or two. Is there any way I can find out what he is on probation for? He is my ex-husbands new wifes cousin. Regardless, my main question is:

1 - Should I give this info to the judge?

2 - Does fully probated suspension mean that he is on probation, or that he is suspended from practicing until his time period is up(9/09)

I don't know if you can find out what he is on probation for. I would suggest that you contact The State Bar of Texas at:

State Bar of Texas
XXXXX
Austin, TX 78701
Telephone Numbers
(800)204-2222(NNN) NNN-NNNN

If they can tell you why he is on probation, they will.

I would also suggest that you ask the State Bar of Texas the same question you are asking me about what fully probated suspension means.

If it means he is currently suspended then by all means you need to bring it to the attention of the judge as well as the State Bar of Texas.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for your help Ron. My ex is trying to take get out divorce decree changed so he is the person that decides where they live and go to school(which i have had since 2004). We are due in court tomorrow and through research of my own I found this out about his attorney(wifes cousin). Long story really short, has not financially supported the kids(I have), and chose to move more than 100 miles away 4 yrs. ago. Ex and lawyer, and new wife(lawyers cousin) have told many lies that they have no evidence of. I am a single mom of three and the attorney I hired used up the 3,000. I gave her without doing much for me. Through research of my own I found this info about the ex's lawyer on the state bar of texas website and that is what came up. That is why I am struggling to find out what that means, and if it could help me in any way. I appreciate your help and just wanted to know what that means in your state if that is on the state bar website about an attorney?

Ohio does not use the same designation as Texas. I did research online in Texas cases to come up with an assumption.

Ohio is pretty clear in its designations. Ohio it would be suspended or Suspended from the practice of law for x, with conditions or a public reprimand.

That is why I struggled as first. You could just take a chance and advise the judge of what you found and request that he advise the court the terms and the issues.

I hope this helps.

Ronald Frederick
Ronald Frederick
Ronald Frederick
Ronald Frederick, Attorney