How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Leon Your Own Question
Joseph Leon
Joseph Leon, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 438
Experience:  General practitioner; all areas of law; practicing 15 years; licensed in 4 states.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Joseph Leon is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a car has two names on the title can one person sell it

Customer Question

If a car has two names on the title can one person sell it without the other's consent? After my 23 year old son broke up with his 36 year old girlfriend she took $15,000 from joint acct.(his fault , but he made 90% of the money)He bought a new car , had no credit and she co-signed. He put $8,000 down and made all the payments. While he was out of town on work she took the car & hid it and is now trying to sell it . The bank says if she finds a buyer to pay off loan they will sign off on the loan. Is this legal? He really wants his car , a 2005 Mustang showing up on Auto trader .His lawer wants a $7,500 retainer which he doesn't have (thanks to her) & neither do I. She has a lawyer that is running all over him.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Joseph Leon replied 8 years ago.
Is the car fully paid for? Who is paying the monthly payments?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The bank holds the note ...After putting the $8,000 down my son made payments for a few months after she took it even tho' he didn't know where the car was. He was advised to stop paying when she dropped him on the ins. policy that he had been paying. She has paid for the last 2 months and new ins. with another guys name on the policy along with hers. By the way , she broke into my son's friends garage to take it. Along with the $15,000 he has approx. 5 months payments for car & ins. with all documentation of payroll deposits to acct.
Expert:  Joseph Leon replied 8 years ago.
Have you tried locating an attorney through the "lawyer referral service" run by your local bar association?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just aquired one thru Parker Stanbury. Thank you!
Expert:  Joseph Leon replied 8 years ago.
Great. Do you want the link or can you get it yourself?
Expert:  Joseph Leon replied 8 years ago.
Did you have any further questions?