How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 3 decades of experience in the legal field.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if someone owes me money and i decide to sue, what kind of

Resolved Question:

if someone owes me money and i decide to sue, what kind of lawyer do i get?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good afternoon,

What is it that they owe you money for. What are the circumstances of the debt?


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it is over 20,000. i don't have a contract with the other person. just a spoken agreement to pay me back. he took advantage of me when i got my inheritance when i was 18.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I’ll put forth my best effort in assisting you. Please allow me a bit of time to first check on a few things. In the meantime I would ask that you please stay on-line, just in case I need clarification from you regarding the factual circumstances relating to your question. Thank you for allowing me to help.


Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok, thank you.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 years ago.

Good afternoon,

In the State of Minnesota there is a doctrine known as the Statute of Frauds. It requires that some contracts must be in writing to be valid. Contracts involving the sale of real estate, contracts concerning the sale of goods worth more than $500, contracts that cannot be performed within one year, contracts to pay off someone else's debts, leases for more than one year, and contracts concerning a marriage must be in writing.

If your verbal agreement was that he could pay you off over more than a year then, arguably the Statute of Frauds would apply to your agreement and make it non-enforceable. However, a common defense to that argument is that of partial performance. You performed your end of the agreement and the court will adjudge that the other party must abide by his agreement.

What you will need to do now is to sue him in court for breach of contract. You clearly have a meritorious case. When you get your judgment you will have to execute on his property, bank acounts and wages.

I urge you to retain an attorney to help you locally. You cn likely find an attorney to represent you on a contingency basis--meaning you only pay them a fee if thye can collect for you, and then you pay a percentage of what they collect.

I wish you luck in collecting what is clearly owed to you.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,




LawTalk and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you