How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JB Umphrey Your Own Question
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20233
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
JB Umphrey is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I deposit a check that is in my stepfathers name into an

Resolved Question:

Can I deposit a check that is in my stepfathers name into an account listed to myself and my mother, if I hold a durable power of attorney?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

The answer is "it depends." You need to look at the power of attorney that was given to you and see if you were given the power to endorse and deposit checks.

Some powers of attorney are written to give people a lot of authority. Other powers of attorney are written very narrow with very limited authority given.

You really need to read the document. If you are in doubt, take the power of attorney document with you to the bank where you'd like to make the deposit and see if they find it to be acceptable.

Best wishes! I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
JB Umphrey and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Under the Banking and Financial Institutions Section of the POA it indicates the following


To deposit any finds received for me in my accounts in such Bank or Trust Companyor other depository as my attorney may select either in my name or my Attorney's name as Attorney in Fact.


After speaking with the bank they will not accept this. Does this mean I have to establish a new account with my name as POA and my stepfathers name ?