How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 118688
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i live in louisiana and i have an 8 yr old daughter, he and

This answer was rated:

i live in louisiana and i have an 8 yr old daughter, he and her mom split up before she was born, but i went to the hospital and signed security papers to go in and hold my daughter.the child is now 8 the mom took her away at age 2 and i have seen her ony twice since she was 2 but i have hired 2 attorneys in a 5 yr period to get dna and custody..17 months ago an ex husband of the mom was awarded custody , which had to be thru false testimony and fraud, i was awarded custody 2 weeks ago but he got an injuction for me to bring her back....i wanna be reassured that a court will order a dna test and what would be my rights as the bio dad.
You would need to seek the DNA test, this would be the only means for you to prove your paternity and to seek custody and visitation. Your rights as the biological parent are to custody and if not visitation. The ex husband shoud not get anything if he is not the biological parent. The LA courts are very quick to order DNA in these disputes, so you should be fine if you seek the custody after the DNA test.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
but do they have to allow me a dna is there any way they can refuse the test
They can try to refuse the test, but then they get no benefits from you and of course you would not be able to claim any parental rights either. In many cases I have seen the court hold a parent in contempt for refusing the DNA test for the child.