Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

why statute of frauds applies only to some kinds of contracts

Customer Question
and not all?...
why statute of frauds applies only to some kinds of contracts and not all?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
2/1/2009
Lawyer: Attorney & Counselor at Law, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Hi - The Statute of Frauds applies the only certain types contracts because these types are considered the most susceptible to fraud and perjury.

The statute originates with a English Act of Parliament in 1677 called An Act For The Prevention of Frauds. The parliament recognized that some types of verbal contracts resulted in disputes more often than others. These problematic categories of verbal contracts resulted in the loss of the courts valuable time, plus encouraged litigants to lie.

As a result of this situation, the Parliament enacted a law stating that certain contracts must be in writing to be enforceable, thus ending the confusion in the event of dispute. Similar laws have been enacted around the world ever since.

To review the types of contracts and learn more about the Statute, please see this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_Frauds
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law, Attorney