How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got married last year and my 14yr old daughter wants her

This answer was rated:

I got married last year and my 14yr old daughter wants her last name changed to match mine. What do I got to do to get her name changed



you need to file a Petition for Name Change. once the Petition is filed, then you need to publish the notice in local papers, once a week for 6 weeks so that if anyone has reason why the name should not be changed they can come to a hearing and make the reasons known. you also will need to notify her bio father, if you know where he is - if not, then the newspaper notices will be sufficient. the clerk of the court can give you the petition form and the instructions for filing, etc.


good luck

Sam and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you