How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Practicing Attorney focusing on Family Law, Foreclosure, Landlord-Tenant Issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a spouse put his wife in rehab if she is harmful to herself

This answer was rated:

Can a spouse put his wife in rehab if she is harmful to herself or Children.
what state are yopu in ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

My daughter has become a heroine addict and she has 3 kids her spouse wants her in rehab. But, we know she will leave. Can her spouse admit her?


Thank you


Customer: replied 8 years ago.

How long will this take. We are trying to get her Wednesday. We are afraid for her life .


Thank you,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
As long as the individual has capacity to make a decision you will not be able to force her to remain in rehab. No one can be forced to accept medical treatement. A judge as a condition for release (probation) for committing a crime can order an individual into rehab. A spouse can also request a court order to place his spouse in rehab/ He would have to show that the drugs have created a mental disorder preventing rational decsion making and that there is exists a present danger of self injury or suicide. Two physicians would have to concur in that determination.

Here is a site that specifically deals with the situation you are facing. You should call their counseling number for Maryland.

If this answer was helpful please press ACCEPT so I may be paid.

Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.
Jack R. and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you