How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My step-son lives with his girlfriend/babys mother. She is

Customer Question

My step-son lives with his girlfriend/baby's mother. She is not an ideal mother and he wants to get the children out and get his own place. He's afraid that she will charge him with kidnapping even though these are his children. Is there a legal aid service that could help him? She is supposed to pay gas and electric and he's pays everything else. She isn't paying anything and blows her checks on nothing but herself. He's pays the rent, but the landlord has her name on the receipts even though he's the one that pays. Is there anyone that can help him since they are not married, but have lived together for quite a few years. Their children are 5 and 1 yrs old. He wants to make a better life for his children.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
He must contact his local legal aid office in the county were he lives to see if he is income eligible for free representation, they set their rules on eligibility. He can get into trouble if he removes the children without her consent, so he would need to ask the court for custody of them before he can remove them. It would be easier if both would agree to a custody arrangement, but if she is not only to agree he will need to "fight" for custody which can take some time and money.

He can review information on getting custody here

He can get further information and add his zip code for a directory of offices here

All the best to him.


Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . I also do not claim to be licensed to practice in the state where this information is being provided. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and it’s associated sites. As law is always changing, you are recommended to speak with the appropriate legal counsel for accurate and complete information. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.