Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

i am opening up a restuarant and bar in louisiana and want

Customer Question
to serve hookah will it...
i am opening up a restuarant and bar in louisiana and want to serve hookah will it fall under the no smokeing law? in new york you can serve hookah but not cigarets is it the same in shreveport louisiana
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
2/1/2009
Lawyer: Attorney & Counselor at Law, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Yes, hookah will fall under the smoking law, but you might be exempt as a bar.

Shreveport's law is called the Smokefree Air Act. It bans smoking and defines it as follows:

Smoking means inhaling, exhaling, burning, carrying, or possessing any lighted tobacco product, including cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, and any other lighted combustible plant material.
(Ord. No. 28, 2007, 2-27-07)

You can find the entire law here:

http://library4.municode.com/default/template.htm?view=document&doc_action=setHitDoc&doc_hit=1

The smoking law does not distinguish between different types of tobacco smoke. Hookah smoke (I presume mostly tobacco) is treated the same under the law.

The good news is the law does not apply to bar

"Bar means a business that holds a state class A-general retail permit and the primary purpose of such business is to serve alcoholic beverages for consumption by guests on the premises and in which the serving of food is only incidental to the consumption of those beverages, including but not limited to, taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and cabarets."

Good luck!
so as long as i apply for a bar i willl be able to serve foor and be able to serve hookah too
Yes, but according to the law, the serving of food must be incidental to the serving of beverages. If you will operate as a full restaurant with extensive menu, it will be difficult for you to qualify as a bar. Also, you might have to limit patron to 21 years and older. You may have to derive most of your revenue from alcohol, not food, in order to qualify as a bar and be exempt from the Smokefree act.

You should contact the Shreveport Chamber of Commerce, who will be able to guide you on your next steps.

Chamber of Commerce (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Also, the city of Shreveport will be able to tell you what permits you will need to operate the type of business you desire.

City of Shreveport
Economic Development Department (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Permits Information (NNN) NNN-NNNN

I think you will be allowed to operate a hookah bar, but you will have to obtain the appropriate licenses and permits. Contact the numbers above to get started.

Good luck!
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law, Attorney