How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to get a death certificate for a missing person of 12

This answer was rated:

How to get a death certificate for a missing person of 12 years.



you need to petition the court in the county where the person last resided.


you will need to show three things 1) they have disappeared or have been continually absent from home for at least seven years without explanation; 2) those persons with whom they would likely communicate have not heard anything from or about them; and 3) a diligent search has been made at their last known place of residence without obtaining information that they are alive.


these particulars need not be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, as would be required in a criminal case - rather, an individual's presumed death need only be established by a "preponderance of the evidence" - that it's more likely than not that the person is dead.


once you have filed the Petition and had a hearing and it is ordered the person is deceased then you can get the death certificate


sorry for you loss - good luck


Sam and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you