Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Can I collect unemployment in the state of Alabama while recieving

Customer Question
Can I collect unemployment...
Can I collect unemployment in the state of Alabama while recieving severance pay ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Legal
1/23/2009
Lawyer: Sam, Attorney at Law replied 8 years ago
Sam, Attorney at Law

hi

you cant collect for the period that you received the servance pay - for instance, if you got the severance for the week after your left your job - you would not be able to claim that week as that would be considered earnings.

you should file for unemployment as soon as you become unemployed, but those weeks that the company paid you will not be included.

you must be able to work, available for work, willing to accept suitable work, actively seeking full time work, and be out of work due to no fault of your own for a claim to be postive

Isn't severance considered a personal benefit from the company ?

More info. , please .

hi

only if it is done in a package - for instance, if you are given a severance package which includes a lump sum payout - but if it is pay for two weeks notice, then no.

Sam, Attorney at Law
hey, thx for your help. I have signed a release of claims, with no possibility of return, due to a reduction in workforce, if that helps. Any info. will be greatly appreciated.
Sam, Attorney at Law