How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEase Your Own Question
LegalEase, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 897
Experience:  Experience in Family law, Wills and Estate Planning
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalEase is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how can i lower my arrears I owe on child support

Resolved Question:

how can i lower my arrears I owe on child support?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  LegalEase replied 8 years ago.
You can attempt to negotiate a lower payment over a longer time, however, unless the spouse receiving the child support agrees to a lesser amount of arrearage, you will have to pay the entire amount.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I was told that if I have a hardship and can prove it that some judges could lower they amount?
Expert:  LegalEase replied 8 years ago.
Depending on the individual judge, yes, they have the discretion to do that, but it is at their discretion. Judges look out for the best interest of the child. If you have a job now, then it will not matter if you were out of work while the arrears built up, the court will consider you able to pay.

That said, you can always negotiate with the family court, showing earing history, etc, to see if they will deny the motion to raise your child support.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am still in a hardship now and I am fighting Forecusure, should I try to file a motion to lower arreas?
Expert:  LegalEase replied 8 years ago.
You can try, yes. If she has filed a motion to modify childsupport, you can counter the motion and ask for it to be lowered. You should consult with an attorney, and if you cannot afford an attorney, contact your Legal Aid (Legal Services) office, as they may be able to provide you with no cost legal support.
LegalEase and 14 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you