How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask attySince1978 Your Own Question
attySince1978, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 931
Experience:  Attorney for 30 years with over 500 arbitrations and trials representing over 2,000 clients.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
attySince1978 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

me and my mother recently opened a local sports bar in the

Resolved Question:

me and my mother recently opened a local sports bar in the town we live in. my husband is a registered sex offender. the news media have blitzed the papers and news chanels with the Headings of wife of sex offender opens bar. My husband has no connection with the business. do i have any recourse in the court systems on these publications?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  attySince1978 replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, trust is a complete defense to any such action by you.

I suggest that you immediately contact a public relations firm that is experienced in handling these types of business problems with the media. Many can turn the tables and actually use the media exposure your are getting because of your husband's sexual background.

Even though your husband has no connection with the business they media is attempting to use the negative information against you. As I said, you must take the media exposure and utilize it to your advantage. You can do this with PRESS RELEASES, etc. that can describe how successful you are despite the problems you had to deal with in the past.
You are therefore a strong independent woman that can be looked up to by other women that are trying to get back onto their feet due to a faulty past. Use the media exposure to your benefit. Do some local charitable work that contributes to battered women programs. Many other programs are available for you to contribute to and will make you look like a strong character in the eyes of public. I think that a lawsuit will only cloud the true facts of the case and could do more harm than good.

I trust that my answer is helpful to you, therefore please click ACCEPT after you have read my answer. No credit will be given for my work unless you accept may answer.
Also, a small bonus is allowable and greatly appreciated. Thank you.
attySince1978 and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you