How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 34754
Experience:  16 yrs. of trial experience
Type Your Legal Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there anything I can do if someone is filing false police

This answer was rated:

Is there anything I can do if someone is filing false police reports about me?
You can report this to law enforcement. If a person knowingly files a false police report, can be prosecuted

N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-225 (2008)

§ 14-225. False reports to law enforcement agencies or officers

   Any person who shall willfully make or cause to be made to a law enforcement agency or officer any false, misleading or unfounded report, for the purpose of interfering with the operation of a law enforcement agency, or to hinder or obstruct any law enforcement officer in the performance of his duty, shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the green accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.    
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I have a kind of complicated situation. I want to give you some more details about the whole story.


I started a bakery with another woman in August of this year. She was unreasonable, rude and shared percocet pain medication with other employees and friends inside the business during operating hours.

Needless to say, I did not want to be affiliated with her, so I told her one day that it was not working out and that I was no longer going to be a part of the business. I left quietly without asking for any money back out of the business and just gave her my share of the investment to avoid any issues.

My mother had been helping out at the shop, and continued helping part time after I left. My mother knew that it was time to quit helping out when the woman paid, or offered to pay, one of the other employees with the prescription pain medication because she could not afford to pay her by check.

I was on the lease with my ex-partner, and my mother had brought a lot of her personal belongings into the business. She had a computer, baking pans, and other small kitchen equipment in the bakery that belonged to her. I told her that she should go and get her things back one evening, and since she had a key still she let herself in and took only a few of her things. She left enough there so that the business could still operate as usual out of kindness.

Now, my ex-partner is trying to press charges on my mother for anything she thinks she can get her for, such as unlawful entry, felony larceny. The police have told her that no laws were broken, but she keeps going to different people and my mother and I have had to talk to several officers and detectives because she keeps bothering them and even has given them some false information.

The woman has told people in the small town we live in that I broke into her building and stole things from her, and that my mother stole from her as well.

She and her boyfriend keep pushing the issue and telling people that they are going to sue me for $30,000 for abandonment.

I really don't want anything from this woman- i just want her to stop bothering the police and district attourney so they will leave my family alone.


What would you advise that I do in this situation?

It sounds as if the police have taken the high road, which is a good thing. In this case, I do not suspect you will get much further by attempting to press charges against her.

Many people claim they will sue, but I suspect in this case, she will not...I do not believe a suit for abandonment would be successful.

NOW, if she continues to spread false information about you, you may want to consider pursuing a defamation case.

More info here

P. Simmons and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help!