C.Fortunato
C.Fortunato, Attorney
Experience:  Admitted NYS Bar, member ABA, NYSBA, NYCBA, QCBA, Licensed Real Estate Broker
14232603

Neighbors dog attacked mine through the fence in Apr 2008.

Neighbors dog attacked mine through the fence in Apr 2008. Neighbor claimed they would pay for damages at time of incident, but never saw any money after personally delivering the vet bill in approx. June 08. On 25 Sept. 08 got a verbal commitment from neighbor for $50 per month until paid in full. Still nothing. When approached on 28 Dec 08, was promised the money 1 Jan 08. Still no money. The amount is $611.25. What, if anything, can I do to collect the money?
You can sue your neighbor in small claims court. Before going, be prepared to bring all evidence that will help prove what happened (vet bills).
You can still win this case even if your neighbor denies the promise to pay, or if he or she denies that their dog attacked yours, because the court will decide who is telling the truth in that situation.
If I have fully answered your question, please click on the "ACCEPT" button, as per your agreement with "JUST ANSWER." If you need further information, please let me know.
Thank you!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I get that small claims is an option, but as I stated in my original question, I have no clue how to begin that process. Can you provide some intel on this process?

Yes I can. First I want you to know that Small Claims court is arguably the easiest to get through, so you should not feel intimidated about going there.
First, you will have to go to the court to get the forms you need to file. There are 4 locations (let me know if you need to know where these are).
You fill out the forms, pay the fee (if you are low-income, you may be not pay the fee), and then go back to court on the date the clerk gives you. If you are low-income, you may be not pay the fee.
When you go to court on the date you are given, bring all evidence and witnesses.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Can you provide the locations where I can get the forms?

One last question and I'll let you go. Let's say I take them to small claims court and win. What are the consequences if they don't pay?

My fear is that I'll just be out additional money and only have a legal experience to show for my time and effort.

200 S. Peters Street
Norman, Oklahoma 73069 (NNN) NNN-NNNN
That is the main court. I thought I saw 3 other part-time locations, but now I can't find the page I was looking at. You can call the main court's number to get the other locations.
If they don't pay, you can arrange to get a garnishment of their bank account(s) or their employment. Courts usually have information available to explain how you would do this.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much! I look forward to using your advice.
You're welcome!