Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Do I have to have UPC codes on my auction/sales advertisements.

These items are retail sales...
Do I have to have UPC codes on my auction/sales advertisements. These items are retail sales. And is there a % of price increase I can add, to avoide price gouging. I"m selling dropship online auctions.
1/2/2009
C.Fortunato
C.Fortunato, Attorney
UPC codes belong on products, not advertisements. And not only are they not required in advertisements, they are not required on products either. They were designed to make check-out time faster and easier, for better inventory control, etc.
There is no definite, pre-set % for determining if a price increase is price gouging. Rather, price gouging occurs "when a supplier of essential goods or services sharply raises the prices asked in anticipation of or during a civil emergency..." A typical "case is a when a retailer who increases the price of existing stocks of milk and bread when a hurricane" is on the way.
If I have fully answered your question, please click on the "ACCEPT" button, as per your agreement with "JUST ANSWER." If you need further information, please let me know. <br />Thank you!
C.Fortunato
C.Fortunato, Attorney
I read about % increase on internet sales, is there any type of over price increase laws that say I can only profit so much per item on normal sales? Example 150.00 for xbox, I want to sell for 300.00 and another person 301.00. THe xbox usuall runs 100-150 dollars.
Simply to gain a bunch of money right away. (Maybe extreme but it closely examples my question about % income and stealing from a general public.

Our economic system is based on the concept that parties should be allowed to freely bargain, contract, trade, etc. And this right is protected by the US Constitution.
Therefore, in a situation like the one you are describing (for non-essential goods), basically, you are free to charge whatever someone is willing to pay.
If I have fully answered your question, please click on the "ACCEPT" button, as per your agreement with "JUST ANSWER." If you need further information, please let me know.
Thank you!
C.Fortunato
C.Fortunato
C.Fortunato, Attorney