Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

What can be the reprocussions if one sent a 17 year old an

Customer Question
inappropriate photo....
What can be the reprocussions if one sent a 17 year old an inappropriate photo.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
1/1/2009
Lawyer: Nancy Delain, Attorney replied 9 years ago
Nancy Delain
Nancy Delain, Attorney
Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

There can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.

By using this forum and/or clicking ACCEPT, you expressly acknowledge that any information I may give in response to your question in this forum does not constitute legal advice; there is no attorney-client relationship between us; and all questions and answers are visible to the whole world, including your opponent, and any information provided is therefore not confidential. Because of the public nature of this forum, by posting anything here you waive irrevocably any and all claim to confidentiality or privilege as to the content posted. Please post only that information that you are willing for your opponent to see and use against you if this matter goes to court. Any money you may give me in response to this posting (which may include both your agreed-on sum and any bonus payment) is a gift of gratitude, and is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, attorney's fees. For more information about your matter, you should consult with an attorney of your choice in a traditional face-to-face or telephonic meeting.

Depending on the photo, the sender, the means of transmission of the photo, whether any state lines were crossed, and many other factors, the repercussions could range from a slap-on-the-wrist fine to some serious prison time and requirement for the sender to register as a sex offender if the inappropriate photo is of a sexual nature. If the 17-year-old went online and represented herself as 18 or older, that could significantly lessen the repercussions. This information about any contributing factors from the 17-year-old is fairly easy to discover at trial.

If I have answered your question, please click on ACCEPT so I can receive credit for my answer. If you have constructive comments about my response to you, please click on the Feedback link above and leave feedback for me; if you are satisfied with my response, please leave positive feedback even if you don't leave a comment. Remember that you are leaving feedback for the quality of my help to you, not for Just Answer's policies or billings (I have no control over JA, especially not over their billing of customers; I just control what I have written). If questions linger, please hit REPLY to let me know how I can help you further.
Nancy Delain
Nancy Delain
Nancy Delain, Attorney