Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

My father is currently in a nursing home- and the family farm

My father is currently in a nursing home- and the family farm is being sold off- at private sale to siblings. there are 5 children in the family- of the 5, 2 have been on the outs with the father. 2 have been acting as POA's and one in particular has been selling the property. my father is alive, and the proceeds are to be going to the nursing home to pay for his care. at christmas time the grandchildren have received checks from the POA from grandpa. one sibling has been having family meetings, but i am also a sibling and was never told about the family meetings or sale of property or asked if i wanted to purchase property, or attend these family meetings. the meetings consisted of 4 sibling and some grandchildren. the house contents has been divided up among the 4 siblings and grandkids-is this legal, and do i have any rights as a adult child to purchasing property or being made aware of planned meetings? thank you very much.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Unfortunately a child does not have rights to his parent's property. This is true both during life and at death as a parent can disinherit a child. Since your father gave the POA to an adult child that is selling the property, the adult child is acting legally to sell the property and has no obligation to notify you.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER

Please click ACCEPT so that I can get credit for my work

Bonus and Positive Feedback gratefully accepted!

THIS IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP EXISTS. PLEASE CONSULT A LAWYER IN YOUR STATE FOR LEGAL ADVICE