Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a question about molestation. What can happen to someone

I have a question about molestation. What can happen to someone how is 13 years old and is charged with molesting a 7 year old. That happened about 7 years ago? So the 13 year old is now 21 and the 7 year old is now 14 years old? I would like to know what the lay would do in that instant. If the 13 year old is guilty? in Washington
Absolutely the person could be found guilty of the crime and in cases of sexual abuse, the statute of limitations in WA are as follows: rape if reported 1 yr. of commission: 10 yrs., or if victim is under 14 yrs. old, 3 yrs. after victim turns 18, whichever is later; rape if not reported within 1 yr.: 3 yrs. or if victim is under 14 yrs. old, 3 yrs. after victim turns 18 yrs. old, but not more than 7 yrs. after rape; child molestation, indecent liberties, incest: if victim is under 14 yrs. old, 3 yrs. after victim turns 18 yrs. old, but not more than 7 yrs. of offense. Thus, if the victim reports this any time within these time frames you could be charged with the offense.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
wow that is some what heard to understand. i did not rape her i am geting het for just molestation after 7 years when i was 13 she was she was 7 if i am guilty i go Prison is what i woold whant to know?

It is not hard to understand, if she has not yet hit 18, then you are still liable. the statute of limitations does not begin to run until she hits 18.

Now, as far as what you would get, it is punishable by up to 50 years in prison plus a $10,000 fine, plus lifetime registration as a sex offender. If this is the first and only offense you have committed, I strongly urge you to hire an attorney and work out a deal, especially since the incident occurred while you were a juvenile (since this would minimize your sentence from the max of 50 years) and the attorney would likely be able to get you a good deal that involves no jail time. Additionally, it also depends upon the cooperation of the victim, if the victim does not cooperate there is little the prosecution can do. Furthermore, remember, the prosecution has to present sufficient evidence (witnesses and physical evidence) to prove you guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
will hell i told thim at the shiriff place i was guilty (damn) so i need to get a good attorney ty that is good to know
I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX did not tell the police this after being advised of your Miranda Rights (right to attorney etc). You should not talk to any law enforcement on this unless and until you have consulted an attorney, since this is a serious allegation and at the very least could result in lifetime registration as a sex offender.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
will i did not know what to do so i answered there questons and i dont have the money to get a attorney. but now i know i need toget a attorney. becuse i dont think it will end her.
You do need to get an attorney and if you cannot afford one the court must appoint one for you. The best thing is to first try to call the state bar and ask them about the pro bono (free) attorneys in your area to assist you, if not, you can go to the court and ask to speak to the public defenders.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thank you so much i will do that
You must do so. Good luck to you and thank you.