How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask C.Fortunato Your Own Question
C.Fortunato, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Admitted NYS Bar, member ABA, NYSBA, NYCBA, QCBA, Licensed Real Estate Broker
Type Your Legal Question Here...
C.Fortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a person has a New Mexico license and is convicted of a

Customer Question

If a person has a New Mexico license and is convicted of a OVI in anther state and the judge suspends the license is the suspension of the license recognized by New Mexico Bureau of motor vehicles? If so what is the New Mexico penalty or fine
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  C.Fortunato replied 8 years ago.

The answer to the first question is yes. The second question was not finished.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I recived the ovi in Ohio. Will New mexico fine me or make me pay a penalty when I return home what is the law when I go for my license back home.
Expert:  C.Fortunato replied 8 years ago.

The fine for the violation has to be paid to Ohio, and when it comes time to have the suspension lifted, this will be processed in

If I have fully answered your question, please click on the "ACCEPT" button, as per your agreement with "JUST ANSWER." If you need further information, please let me know.

Thank you!

C.Fortunato and 2 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When this is processed in new Mexico will I have any additional penalty or fines
Expert:  C.Fortunato replied 8 years ago.

I am so sorry, but after an answer is posted, the customer has to click on the "ACCEPT" button for me to continue. Once the "ACCEPT" button is clicked, I can continue.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will hit accept when you answer my question
Expert:  C.Fortunato replied 8 years ago.

I don't have a problem with that. It's just that a lot of people say they will and then they don't!

Yes, you will have to pay a processing fee to New Mexico (I don't know how much it is) to have the suspended license restored. If you want, I can get that information for you this Friday.

And I apologize if I offended you - in fact I won't mind if you don't "ACCEPT".

Happy New Year!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I accepted can New mexico for example put an interlock or add to what is ruled in ohio.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Friday is fine Sorry for making you umcomterble

Happy New year
Expert:  C.Fortunato replied 8 years ago.

If you mean some sort of surcharge, the answer is no.

If the offense was committed in Ohio and you were convicted in Ohio, you cannot also be penalized or for it in New Mexico - to do so would be "double jeopardy", which is prohibited by the US Constitution (5th Amendment).

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for all your help take care
Expert:  C.Fortunato replied 8 years ago.
The agency I called would not give me the information without your social security number. If you call(NNN) NNN-NNNN7 and give your social security number, you will be given the fee for reinstatement of your license.

Related Legal Questions