How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Sam is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hi i just got a citation for child neglect for leaving my son

Customer Question

hi i just got a citation for child neglect for leaving my son in the car wile i went in the store real quick what do i need to do to so i wont loose my son and do jail time
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Sam replied 8 years ago.



well, you wont go to jail - but i am sure that the department of child and family services will be making a visit to your home to see how things are and if the child is safe in the home - this is routine after such a charge


if the child was not injured, you will more than likely be placed on some type of probation - but it is a serious matter and you should also consider consulting with a local lawyer before your court date - so that negoiations with the prosecutor can begin

Sam and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

what if you dont have a lot of money and cat affored a lawyer then waht do i do


Expert:  Sam replied 8 years ago.



you should contact the Utah Bar Association and see if they can refer you to an attorney who might work with you pro bono - use this link for that contact information


if that fails, then when you go to court on your arraignment tell the judge you would like to apply for a public defender