How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jim Reilly Your Own Question
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1805
Experience:  California lawyer since 1976.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Jim Reilly is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Texas, may attorney utilize his assistant to recover fees

This answer was rated:

In Texas, may an attorney utilize his assistant to recover fees owed for services rendered?

During my research, I came across something that said that attorneys could only do so much to recover legal fees owed to them for services rendered (ethically). I work for a good man, with a big heart, and he is owed close to 30,000 dollars in unpaid fees. I would like to help him recover these being given the authority to make payment arrangements with clients. I am unsure if a firm is allowed to call a client weekly to work something out. Sometimes people feel ashamed to face the person they owe money too and that is where I would come in. Is this ethical?

Working at the direction of your employer, you can assist him in collecting past due legal fees by any otherwise lawful means. You cannot, of course, represent yourself as a lawyer, but you can advice clients who have not paid that you are his legal assistant and attempting to collect on his behalf.

You can make phone calls, write letters, employ a collection agency and/or file lawsuits to recover the unpaid fees. All of this would have to be done in your employer's name, of course, but you can do a lot of it on his behalf. He would have to be the named plaintiff in any lawsuit and would have to sign the complaint, but you could prepare the paperwork and do the legwork to get it filed.

You should be aware of the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, with which you would also have to comply. For the Fair Trade Commission's brochure on the act, see:

Your boss can give you authority to work out payment arrangements on his behalf, though any written agreement regarding payment of fees should be signed by him.

You cannot engage in any conduct which would be prohibited for him to do himself. You should be familiar with the Texas State Bar rules regarding attorney-client relationships, in particular Rule 1.04 regarding fees. You can see the rules at:

Good luck with this effort.
Jim Reilly and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Okay, I apologize, big piece of my question left out. My boss handles bankruptcy/tax issues. Does the information apply even if the client has filed for bankruptcy?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Your answer was great. I will accept. I really appreciate your help. I apologize for not being thorough with my question. My loss...Happy New Year! 2009 here we come ; )

That's okay ... no need to apologize.

The fact that a particular client may have filed for bankruptcy makes no difference in what procedures or practices you can or cannot follow in attempting to collect fees.

The actual fees to be paid by bankruptcy clients must, of course, be approved by the court, so there should be no issue as to what the correct fee is (though the attorney can agree to take a lesser fee as part of a negotiation for payment of the fee).

Thanks for the accept and Happy New Year to you as well.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much, this has been a really good experience. I am very satisfied with your answers. Best wishes to you in 2009!
You're welcome and thank you as well. Good luck helping your attorney -- more of us could use assistants with your attitude, desire and initiative!