How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 57400
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
Type Your Legal Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

ok i rented my apt with a contract of no smoking and drinking

This answer was rated:

ok i rented my apt with a contract of no smoking and drinking in apt but when the renter i found a lot of buts on my couch and 5 wiskey bottles in there too i took picture and i want now to keep some of his depoist for not obeying my rules on a contract can i do that or not take some of his depoist please answer me ok landlord
I am afraid that you cannot penalize the tenant in this manner. The recourse would be eto evict for violation of the term of the tenancy. The only way you can apply the deposit is you are required to do additional cleaning as a result when the tenant vacates.
INFOLAWYER and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you