How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Legal Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

me and my ex husband have this 18000 car debt and ithe collections

Resolved Question:

me and my ex husband have this 18000 car debt and ithe collections is done now and said find a attorney. i just want to know what can the back legally do? i live in North carolina
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

The bank can sue you, get a judgment, and then try to garnish your wages or have your assets sold to satisfy the judgment. If you have no assets and you're not employed, then the bank can't do anything.



Customer: replied 8 years ago.
ok what you mean by sue me and i thought that the law was that the judge cant not grat a judgement for a garnishment. what happens if they sue me and the judge says they cant garnish my pay what then>?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

When your question first was posted, the system did not display your location. You are correct, that an NC court cannot order a wage garnishment, except for child support or taxes, or if the judgment was rendered by a different State or Federal court.


However, the creditor can execute against your wages once they reach your checking account -- assuming you keep them in your checking account. But, that probably won't be a problem for you.



socrateaser and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you