How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dkennedy Your Own Question
dkennedy, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 6009
Experience:  Juris Doctorate Degree
Type Your Legal Question Here...
dkennedy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was charged with a 242 PC Battery Misdemeanor what is the

Customer Question

I was charged with a 242 PC Battery Misdemeanor what is the usual outcome of this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  dkennedy replied 8 years ago.



What state are you charged in?


What is your criminal record, if any?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Costa Mesa California. No previuos criminal record

Expert:  dkennedy replied 8 years ago.

Hello again,


Since you are charged with a misdemeanor, and you have no criminal record, your sentence should be minimal. Of course, it makes a difference whether you plead guilty or whether you take it to trial and are found guilty.


This offense has a potential sentence of up to $2,000 and jail time up to 6 months.

Simple Battery California Penal Code Section 242-243.


If you are a man, and your alleged victim is a woman, you are probably looking at a few days in jail. You can ask for a deferred judgment which means you will plead guilty, but will not be convicted unless you get into some type of trouble in the next year or so. But if you stay out of trouble, the case will get dropped as if it never happened. This is not granted every time, but you can give it a try.