I made a purchase with Direct Shopping Network for jewelry…

Customer Question
I made a purchase with...
I made a purchase with Direct Shopping Network for jewelry which was non refundable. I was told that I would recieve the item between 15 and 20 days. It has been more than twenty days and I called them and they told me that they had not even shipped the item yet. I told them that since this was the case I no longer need the item and would like to cancel the order. They refused to cancel the order, stating that I was informed that it was non refundable.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Legal
12/17/2008
Lawyer: Jim Reilly, Attorney replied 9 years ago
Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
If the delivery within 15-20 was part of the purchase agreement, they are technically in violation of the contract and you can rescind it, even though it is a "non-refundable" contract. However, the only way you can enforce a rescission of the contract is to sue them. Unless the value of the jewelry is quite high, it would almost certainly not be worth doing so.

Jim Reilly
Jim Reilly, Attorney
The purchase price was $668 and change (Which is quite high for me). Should I send them an e-mail stating my intent, or call them back and inform them of my intentions? If I recieve the item before the lawsuit, should I send it back or hold onto it?
Ah, yes, $668 is quite high and is probably enough to justify the time it would take to pursue a small claims case. You can send them an email, but a certified letter would be better, as it provides proof of delivery/receipt by them.

If you receive the item, you should hold onto it until the hearing in court. Then take it with you to return to their representative who appears in court. That will impress the judge and make it more likely that you will win. It will also insure that you don't end up with neither your money nor the jewelry.

One other thought, if you paid for this item with a credit card, the credit card company may be willing to reverse the charge. If you paid with a credit card, you should contact your card issuer immediately to discuss this possibility.
Thank you for your time and assistance. I will be contacting my bank tomorrow morning to see if this issue can be resolved that way. Your quick response is very much appreciated
You're welcome and thank you for the accept. Good luck getting this resolved.